I love brunch; the lazy wake up, the not having to rush to get the food on and the spending much longer prepping food than I would for either breakfast or lunch. This is an easy, tasty, healthy and quick brunch recipe that would also do for a comforting and quick evening meal or a work from home lunch. These veg heavy, spicy eggs really pick you up and put a smile on your face every time you eat them.
Pick me up eggs
Serves 1 (scale up as required) – prep 5 mins – cook 5 mins
- 1 large knob of butter
- 1 small clove garlic, sliced fine
- 1 small red chilli, sliced fine (leave the seeds in if you like it mega hot)
- 2 chestnut mushrooms, chopped roughly but fine
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1/4 bunch coriander
- Salt and black pepper
- Buttered toast
1. Put the butter in a small frying pan on a medium heat.
2. Add the garlic and chilli and soften (keep stirring so they don’ stick and burn).
3. Once softened add the chopped mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, then give it a few stirs and move onto the eggs.
4. Whilst everything in the pan is softening, whisk the eggs in a bowl with a fork until very well combined and a little frothy. Add a pinch of salt and a good grinding of pepper, then pour into the frying pan. Snip over the coriander.
5. Turn the heat down to low and keep stirring until the eggs are done – the curds will be a little smaller and wetter than traditional scrambled eggs.
6. Serve on buttered toast and add sliced avocado or steamed purple sprouting broccoli for extra healthy goodness. Or smoked bacon for yummy fun times!